The Salazar surname indicates one who came from Salazar in northern Burgos, Castile, Spain-a place name meaning corral or manor house - probably from sala, meaning "hall" and Basque za(h)ar, meaning "old." Salazar could also mean a dweller in or near the house or palace, or a dweller near the place sacred to St. Lazar. Salazar is an ancient surname found in Vizcaya, Castile, Navarre, Santander and Burgos, Spain.
Salazar is the 44th most common Hispanic surname.
Surname Origin: Spanish
Alternate Surname Spellings: SALASAR, DE SALAZAR
Famous People with the Surname SALAZAR
- Juan Carlos Salazar - well known Venezuelan singer and cuatro player
- António de Oliveira Salazar - Prime Minister of Portugal from 1932 to 1968; also served as acting President of the Republic in 1951
- Abel de Lima Salazar - Portuguese physician, writer, researcher and painter
- Antonio Sebastián de Toledo Molina y Salazar - Viceroy of New Spain
Where Do People With the VARGAS Surname Live?
The surname distribution data at Forebears ranks Salazar as the 340th most common surname in the world, identifying it as most prevalent in Mexico and with the highest density in Costa Rica. Salazar is the 9th most common surname in Ecuador, 22nd in Venezuela, 27th in Costa Rica and Peru, and 33rd in the Philippines.
Salazar is no longer a surname that is common in Spain according to WorldNames PublicProfiler; the Salasar spelling is a bit more common. Within the United States, the Salazar surname is very common in New Mexico and Texas.
Genealogy Resources for the Surname SALAZAR
- 100 Common Hispanic Surnames & Their Meanings. Garcia, Martinez, Rodriguez, Lopez, Hernandez… Are you one of the millions of people sporting one of these top 100 common Hispanic last names?
- How to Research Hispanic Heritage. Learn how to get started researching your Hispanic ancestors, including the basics of family tree research and country-specific organizations, genealogical records, and resources for Spain, Latin America, Mexico, Brazil, the Caribbean, and other Spanish speaking countries.
- Salazar Family Crest - It's Not What You Think. Contrary to what you may hear, there is no such thing as a Salazar family crest or coat of arms for the Salazar surname. Coats of arms are granted to individuals, not families, and may rightfully be used only by the uninterrupted male-line descendants of the person to whom the coat of arms was originally granted.
- SALAZAR Family Genealogy Forum. Search this popular genealogy forum for the Salazar surname to find others who might be researching your ancestors, or post your own Salazar query.
- FamilySearch - SALAZAR Genealogy. Access over 1.7 million free historical records and lineage-linked family trees posted for the Salazar surname and its variations on this free genealogy website hosted by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- GeneaNet - Salazar Records. GeneaNet includes archival records, family trees, and other resources for individuals with the Salazar surname, with a concentration on records and families from France, Spain, and other European countries.
- SALAZAR Surname & Family Mailing Lists. This free mailing list for researchers of the Salazar surname and its variations includes subscription details and searchable archives of past messages.
- DistantCousin.com - SALAZAR Genealogy & Family History. Explore free databases and genealogy links for the last name Salazar.
- The Salazar Genealogy and Family Tree Page. Browse family trees and links to genealogical and historical records for individuals with the last name Salazar from the website of Genealogy Today.
References: Surname Meanings & Origins
Cottle, Basil. Penguin Dictionary of Surnames. Baltimore, MD: Penguin Books, 1967.
Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Collins Celtic (Pocket edition), 1998.
Fucilla, Joseph. Our Italian Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 2003.
Hanks, Patrick and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1989.
Hanks, Patrick. Dictionary of American Family Names. Oxford University Press, 2003.
Reaney, P.H. A Dictionary of English Surnames. Oxford University Press, 1997.
Smith, Elsdon C. American Surnames. Genealogical Publishing Company, 1997.