Elizabeth Woodville's surprise marriage to Edward IV kept his advisors from arranging a marriage to connect Edward to a powerful family. Instead, Elizabeth Woodville's rise led to her family gaining many favors. She herself was descended on the paternal side from a less powerful family among the nobility. Her mother had been married to a younger son of Henry IV and was herself descended from British royalty. Follow the connections of Elizabeth Woodville's family on the following pages.01of 06
Generation 1: Elizabeth Woodville (and Her Children)Marriage of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York. The Print Collector/Print Collector/Getty Images
Elizabeth Woodville, daughter of Richard Woodville and Jacquetta of Luxembourg, was born on February 3, 1437. She died on June 8, 1492.
She first married John Grey, son of Edward Grey and Elizabeth Ferrers. He was born about 1432. He died on February 17, 1460 or 61. They married about 1452. John Grey was the 7th great-grandson of King John of England through both his mother and his father.
Offspring of Elizabeth Woodville and John Grey
Elizabeth Woodville and John Grey had the following children:
- Thomas Grey, Marquess of Dorset was born about 1457. He died on September 1501. He was betrothed to Anne Holland, daughter of Edward IV's sister Anne and her husband Henry Holland. Anne Holland died in 1467. He then married Cecily Bonville, daughter of William Bonville and Katherine Neville, a grandniece of Cecily Neville and first cousin once removed of Edward IV. They had seven sons and seven daughters.
Lady Jane Grey was their great-granddaughter through their son Thomas Grey (1477 - 1530). Lady Jane Grey was also a great-granddaughter of Elizabeth of York, a daughter of Elizabeth Woodville by her second marriage.
- Richard Grey was born in about 1458. He died 25 Jun 1483, executed by Richard III with his uncle, Anthony Woodville.
Elizabeth Woodville then married Edward IV, son of Richard Plantagenet (Richard of York) and Cecily Neville. He was born on 28 Apr 1442. He died on 09 Apr 1483. They married about 1464.
Offspring of Elizabeth Woodville and Edward IV
Elizabeth Woodville and Edward IV had the following children:
- Elizabeth of York was born in 1466. She died in 1503. She married Henry VII of England (Henry Tudor) on January 18, 1486, in Westminster Abbey, London, England. He was the son of Edmund Tudor and Margaret Beaufort. He was born on January 28, 1457. He died on April 21, 1509.
- Mary of York was born on August 11, 1467. She died on May 23, 1482. She did not marry.
- Cecily of York was born on March 20, 1469. She died on August 24, 1507. She married first Ralph Scrope, son of Thomas Scrope and Elizabeth Greystroke. He was born about 1461. He died on September 17, 1515. The marriage was annulled when Henry Tudor became king. She then married John Welles in December 1487 son of Lionel de Welles and Margaret Beauchamp. He was born about 1450. He died on February 9, 1498/99. She then married Thomas Kyme between 1502-1504.
- Edward of York, Edward V of England, was born in 1470. He probably died between 1483-1485, confined in the Tower of London by his uncle, Richard III.
- Margaret of York was born on April 10, 1472, and died December 11, 1472.
- Richard of York was born on August 17, 1473. He probably died between 1483-1485, confined in the Tower of London by his uncle, Richard III, with his older brother, Edward V.
- Anne of York was born on November 2, 1475. She died November 23, 1511. She married Thomas Howard, son of Thomas Howard and Elizabeth Tilney. He was born in 1473. He died on August 25, 1554. Anne's husband's nieces included Anne Boleyn and Catherine Howard, second and fifth wives of Henry VIII.
- George of York was born in March 1477 and died in March 1479.
- Catherine of York was born on August 14, 1479. She died on November 15, 1527. A marriage to John, son of Ferdinand II of Aragon and Isabella I of Castile, failed. A marriage to James Steward, son of James III of Scotland, also failed. She married William Courtenay, son of Edward Courtenay and Elizabeth Courtenay by October 1495. He was born in 1475. He died on June 9, 1511.
- Bridget of York was born on November 10, 1480. She died about 1517. She entered religious life between 1486 and 1492 and became a nun.
Generation 2: Parents (and Siblings) of Elizabeth Woodville
Father of Elizabeth Woodville
2. Richard Woodville, son of Richard Wydeville of Grafton and Joan Bittlesgate (Bedlisgate), was born about 1405. He died on August 12, 1469. He married Jacquetta of Luxembourg in 1435.
Mother of Elizabeth Woodville
3. Jacquetta of Luxembourg, daughter of Peter of Luxembourg and Margherita del Balzo, was born in 1416. She died on May 30, 1472. She had previously been married to John of Lancaster, 1st Duke of Bedford, a younger son of Henry IV of England (Bolingbroke), by whom she had no children.
Siblings of Elizabeth Woodville
Jacquetta of Luxembourg and Richard Woodville had the following children (Elizabeth Woodville and her sisters and brothers):
- Elizabeth Woodville was born about 1437. She died in 1492.
- Lewis Wydeville or Woodville. He died in childhood.
- Anne Woodville was born about 1439. She died in 1489. She married William Bourchier, son of Henry Bourchier and Isabel of Cambridge. She married Edward Wingfield. She married George Grey, son of Edmund Grey and Katherine Percy. He was born in 1454. He died on December 25, 1505.
- Anthony Woodville was born about 1440-1442. He died on June 25, 1483. He married Elizabeth de Scales, then he married Mary Fitz-Lewis. He was executed with his nephew Richard Grey by King Richard III.
- John Woodville was born about 1444-45. He died on August 12, 1469. He married as her fourth husband Katherine Neville, Dowager Duchess of Norfolk, daughter of Ralph Neville and Joan Beaufort, and sister of Cecily Neville, his sister Elizabeth Woodville's mother-in-law. Katherine Neville was born about 1400. She died after 1483, outliving her much younger husband.
- Jacquetta Woodville was born about 1444-45. She died in 1509. She married John le Strange, son of Richard Le Strange and Elizabeth de Cobham. He died on October 16, 1479.
- Lionel Woodville was born about 1446. He died about June 23, 1484. He became the Bishop of Salisbury.
- Richard Woodville. He died on March 6, 1491.
- Martha Woodville was born about 1450. She died in 1500. She married John Bromley.
- Eleanor Woodville was born about 1452. She died about 1512. She married Anthony Grey.
- Margaret Woodville was born about 1455. She died in 1491. She married Thomas FitzAlan, son of William FitzAlan and Joan Neville. He was born in 1450. He died on October 25, 1524.
- Edward Woodville. He died in 1488.
- Mary Woodville was born about 1456. She married William Herbert, son of William Herbert and Anne Devereux. He was born on March 5, 1451. He died on July 16, 1491.
- Catherine Woodville was born in 1458. She died on May 18, 1497. She married Henry Stafford, son of Humphrey Stafford and Margaret Beaufort (a different Margaret Beaufort than the mother of Henry VII). Henry Stafford was born on September 4, 1455. He was executed for treason by Richard III on November 2, 1483. Catherine Woodville and Henry Stafford had four children, two sons, and two daughters. Catherine Woodville then married Jasper Tudor, son of Owen Tudor and Catherine of Valois (and half-brother to Henry VI). She then married Richard Wingfield, son of John Wingfield and Elizabeth FitzLewis. He died on July 22, 1525.
Arranging marriages to strengthen ties between families could get very complicated. The families of Catherine Woodville and her husbands are especially intertwined.
When Elizabeth Woodville was queen, her husband, Edward VI, arranged the marriage in 1466 of Elizabeth's sister Catherine (1458-1497) to Henry Stafford (1455-1483). That Henry Stafford was the heir of another Henry Stafford (1425-1471), his uncle, whom Edward VI had arranged in 1462 to marry Margaret Beaufort (1443-1509), mother of the future Henry VII (Tudor) and widow of Edmund Tudor, a son of Owen Tudor and Catherine of Valois.
Margaret Beaufort (1443-1509), mother of Henry VII, is not to be confused with the Margaret Beaufort (1427-1474), mother of the younger Henry Stafford (1455-1483) Catherine Woodville married. The two Margaret Beauforts were paternal first cousins, both descended from Margaret Holland and John Beaufort, a son of Katherine Swynford and John of Gaunt, son of Edward III. Edward IV's mother, Cecily Neville, was the daughter of John Beaufort's sister, Joan Beaufort.
To complicate Catherine Woodville's relationships further, her second husband, Jasper Tudor, was another son of Owen Tudor and Catherine of Valois, and thus a brother of the younger Margaret Beaufort's earlier husband, Edmund Tudor and also an uncle of the future Henry VII.03of 06
Generation 3: Grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville
In the third generation, the grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville, and under them, their children - her parents, aunts, and uncles.
4. Richard Wydeville of Grafton, son of John Wydeville and Isabel Godard was born between 1385-1387. He died on November 29, 1441. He married Joan Bittlesgate in 1403.
5. Joan Bittlesgate (or Bedlisgate), daughter of Thomas Bittlesgate and Joan de Beauchamp was born about 1380. She died after July 17, 1448.
Offspring of Joan Bittlesgate and Richard Wydeville
Joan Bittlesgate and Richard Wydeville of Grafton had the following children (father and aunts and uncles of Elizabeth Woodville):
- Richard Woodville was born about 1405. He died on August 12, 1469. He married Jacquetta of Luxembourg in 1435.
- Margaret De Wydeville was born about 1420. She died about 1470.
- Edward De Wydeville was born about 1414. He died about 1488.
- Joan Maud De Wydeville was born about 1404. She died about 1462.
- Elizabeth Woodville was born in 1410. She died on June 8, 1453.
6. Peter of Luxembourg, son of John of Luxembourg and Marguerite of Enghien was born in 1390. He died on August 31, 1433. He married Margherita del Balzo on May 8, 1405.
7. Margherita del Balzo (also known as Margaret de Baux), daughter of Francesco del Balzo and Sueva Orsini was born in 1394. She died on November 15, 1469.
Offspring of Peter of Luxembourg and Margherita del Balzo
Peter of Luxembourg and Margherita del Balzo had the following children (mother, aunts, and uncles of Elizabeth Woodville):
- Louis of Luxembourg, Count of Saint-Pol was born in 1418. He died on December 19, 1475. He first married in 1435 Jeanne de Bar (Henry IV of France and Mary, Queen of Scots are among their descendants). He then married Marie of Savoy. He died in 1475, beheaded for treason against King Louis XI of France.
- Jacquetta of Luxembourg was born in 1416. She died on May 30, 1472. She married John, Duke of Bedford, a younger son of Henry IV (Bolingbroke) and Mary de Bohun. She then married Richard Woodville in 1435.
- Thibaud of Luxembourg, Count of Brienne, Bishop of Le Mans died on September 1, 1477. He was married to Philippa de Melun.
- Jacques of Luxembourg died in 1487. He married Isabelle de Roubaix.
- Valeran of Luxembourg died young.
- Jean of Luxembourg.
- Catherine of Luxembourg died in 1492. She married Arthur III, Duke of Brittany.
- Isabelle of Luxembourg, Countess of Guise died in 1472. She married Charles, Count of Maine, in 1443.
Generation 4: Great Grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville
The great grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville. Their only children listed are the grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville.
8. John Wydeville, son of Richard Wydeville and Elizabeth Lyons was born in 1341. He died on September 8, 1403. He married Isabel Godard in 1379.
9. Isabel Godard, daughter of John DeLyons and Alice De StLiz was born on April 5, 1345. She died on November 23, 1392.
- Richard Wydeville of Grafton was their son; he married Joan Bittlesgate.
10. Thomas Bittlesgate, son of John Bittlesgate was born in 1350. He died on December 31, 1388, in England. He married Joan de Beauchamp.
11. Joan de Beauchamp, daughter of John de Beauchamp and Joan de Bridport was born in 1360. She died in 1388.
- Joan Bittlesgate was their daughter; she married Richard Wydeville of Grafton.
12. John of Luxembourg, son of Guy I Luxembourg and Mahaut of Chatillon was born in 1370. He died on July 2, 1397. He married Marguerite of Enghien in 1380.
13. Marguerite of Enghien, daughter of Louis III of Enghien and Giovanna de St Severino was born in 1371. She died on September 19, 1393.
- Peter of Luxembourg was their son; he married Margherita del Balzo.
14. Francesco del Balzo, son of Bertrand III del Balzo and Marguerite d'Aulnay. He married Sueva Orsini.
15. Sueva Orsini, daughter of Nicola Orsini 15. and Jeanne de Sabran.
- Margherita del Balzo was their daughter; she married Peter of Luxembourg.
Generation 5: Great-Great-Grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville
Generation 5 includes the great-great-grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville. Their only children listed are the great grandparents of Elizabeth Woodville.
16. Richard Wydeville was born in 1310. He died in July 1378. He married Elizabeth Lyons.
17. Elizabeth Lyons was born in 1324. She died in 1371.
- John Wydeville was their son; he married Isabel Godard.
18. John DeLyons was born in 1289. He died in 1371. He married Alice De StLiz in 1315
19. Alice De StLiz, daughter of William StLiz was born in 1300. She died in 1374.
- Isabel Godard was their daughter; she married John Wydeville.
20. John Bittlesgate. His wife's name is not known.
- Thomas Bittlesgate was their son; he married Joan de Beauchamp.
22. John de Beauchamp. He married Joan de Bridport.
23. Joan de Bridport.
- Joan de Beauchamp was their daughter; she married Thomas Bittlesgate.
24. Guy I of Luxembourg, son of John I of Luxembourg and Alix of Dampierre was born about 1337. He died on August 22, 1371. He married Mahaut of Chatillon in 1354.
25. Mahaut of Chatillon, daughter of Jean de Châtillon-Saint-Pol and Jeanne de Fiennes was born in 1339. She died on August 22, 1378.
- John of Luxembourg was their son; he married Marguerite of Enghien.
26. Louis III of Enghien was born in 1340. He died on March 17, 1394. He married Giovanna de St Severino.
27. Giovanna de St Severino was born in 1345 in St Severine, Italy. She died in 1393.
- Marguerite of Enghien was their daughter; she married John of Luxembourg.
28. Bertrand III del Balzo. He married Marguerite d'Aulnay.
29. Marguerite d'Aulnay.
- Francesco del Balzo was their son; he married Sueva Orsini.
30. Nicola Orsini, son of Roberto Orsini. He married Jeanne de Sabran. Nicola Orsini was the great-great-grandson of Simon de Montfort (1208-1265) and his wife Eleanor Plantagenet (1215-1275) who was a daughter of King John of England (1166-1216) and his wife, Isabella of Angoulême (1186-1246).
31. Jeanne de Sabran.
- Sueva Orsini was their daughter; she married Francesco del Balzo.
Ancestry Chart for Elizabeth Woodville
The relationship among those ancestors listed on the previous pages may be clearer with this chart. On this page, the number indicates the generation, so you can find the person on the appropriate page of this collection.
+--- 5-Richard de Wydeville
+--+ 4-John Wydeville
+--+ 3-Richard Wydeville of Grafton
| +--- 4-Isabel Godard
+--+ 2-Richard Woodville
| | +--- 5-John Bittlesgate
| | |
| | +--+ 4-Thomas Bittlesgate
| | |
| +--+ 3-Joan Bittlesgate
| | +--- 5-John de Beauchamp
| | |
| +--+ 4-Joan de Beauchamp
| +--- 5-Joan de Bridport
--+ 1-Elizabeth Woodville
| +--+ 5-Guy I of Luxembourg
| +--+ 4-John II of Luxembourg
| | |
| | +--- 5-Mahaut of Chatillon
| +--+ 3-Peter of Luxembourg
| | |
| | | +--- 5-Louis III of Enghien
| | | |
| | +--+ 4-Marguerite of Enghien
| | |
| | +--- 5-Giovanna de St Severino
+--+ 2-Jacquetta of Luxembourg
| +--- 5-Bertrand III del Balzo
| +--+ 4-Francesco del Balzo
| | |
| | +--- 5-Marguerite d'Aulnay
+--+ 3-Margherita del Balzo
| +--+ 5-Nicola Orsini*
+--+ 4-Sueva Orsini
+--- 5-Jeanne de Sabran
* Through Nicola Orsini, Elizabeth Woodville was descended from King John of England and his wife, Isabella of Angouleme.